Oprah had her favorites list–can’t I have one too? I think she’d approve.
This is a super-special Friday favorites list because I’ve skipped it for the past couple weeks. But that doesn’t mean I haven’t been keeping a list of all the awesome places/things/etc. I’ve found.
1. First, I have to give an extra-huge Preble Road Crew shout-out to Cameron, Keira and Alana, who made me the BEST birthday cards in the entire world. Thanks, guys.
2. Pasta at A Pizza and More–So, when you think of a pizza joint, you MIGHT think of pasta. But, if you’re anything like me, you might be wary of pasta from a place that excels at pizza and subs. Fear not, I am here to report that the pasta at A Pizza and More (specifically the Homer shop) is fantastic. I suggest you try the chicken fettucine alfredo. To. Die. For.
3. Escape by Carolyn Jessop–I just finished reading this book and I’m still blown away by her account of living under the crushing mantle of a polygamous cult. A must read if you’ve been following the trial of Warren Jeffs or if you’re just interested in how other people live. I’m hoping to read her second book (about her struggle to integrate into regular society) soon.
4. Seedstock–a music fest in Cortland. I like the fact that you go, hang out as long as you want and listen to music–no cover charge, they just ask for a donation and there’s even a dish-to-pass area. There’s a stage set up in front of an old farm house where bands perform (they also perform on the back porch). There’s painting and lots of room for the kiddies to run around and play.
5. New York-Style Deli in Cortland–Big sandwiches for a reasonable price. If you’re looking for something other than Subway, I suggest going here.
6. Little Pumpkin–A gently-used clothing store for kids in Cortland. Carol took me there a couple of weekends ago and I can’t even tell you how many times I said, “Awwwww,” while looking at the adorable clothes they had. The store also carries tutus (OMG with the cuteness) and other dance class gear. Sizes 0 to 12.
7. White Russians–I sure do adore these drinks. I hadn’t had one for a while when Carol made me one at their house not too long ago. That totally got me on a white russians kick (that I’m still on). If you haven’t tried one before and are a fan of mudslides, I suggest you try a white russian.
8. Green apple Tootsie pops–Our whole office has been obsessed with Tootsie pops lately because one of the editors keeps a bowl of them in her office–right next to where we drop off our work. Although the other flavors are fabulous, the new green apple kind is FANTASTIC and actually goes along with the chocolate flavor really well.
9. Caramel apple donuts from Dunkin Donuts–Where have you been all of my life? I tried one of these yesterday and LOVED it. What a great way to welcome Fall. A doughnut and some hazelnut coffee for breakfast and I’m a happy girl.
10. welcomehomeblog.com–I mentioned this site in a post from yesterday, but I feel like I need to put it on my favorites list because I love it so much. This site features videos of soldiers returning from active duty to surprise their loved ones. Warning: you will tear up–if not start outright blubbering like I do when I watch these. Remember, these soldiers leave behind family and friends, who love them dearly and pray every day for their safe return. The site also has likes to sister sites, including surprise marriage proposals caught on tape and surprise baby announcements caught on tape.
Show the love. Simply click on the button above for your vote to count.