There are certain times that something happens at our house and I think, wow, now I’m officially a mom. It’s never anything earth shattering, but it’s still that if you had asked me about prior to getting pregnant with Zoey, I probably would have laughed and said, “Bah! That will never happen.”
For your enjoyment, I’ve put together a list of such occurrences:
1. Looking in my purse for my credit card and finding an extra binky instead.
2. Finding my lost cell phone in our Tupperware cupboard.
3. Singing ‘Old MacDonald’ over and over again in the shower.
4. Knowing the hand movements to ‘The Itsy Bitsy Spider’.
5. Accepting that it’s rare when you get out of the house dressed for work and not having baby spit up on your shirt.
6. Finding poop on your hand after changing a diaper and thinking, “Meh. No big deal”, while washing it off.
7. Understanding that your child will wear clean laundry, including your bra, as a hat at some point.
8. Playing the ‘Where Did I Get That Bruise?’ game only to realize the ugly one on your arm is from reaching through the slats in the crib to comfort your baby back to sleep.
9. Taking a gajillion pictures of your kid in when they’re not really doing anything special–and hanging them all in your cubicle at work.
10. Acknowledging that you spell things out to your significant other when talking about treats for the dogs–because you’re so used to doing it when talking about a snack for the baby.
11. Looking at the diaper bag and thinking, ‘Wow, that would be an awesome purse. Look at all that storage space.”
12. Getting excited–quite possibly more excited than your child–when you acquire a Dora the Explorer potty training seat for your toilet.
13. Almost bursting into tears while watching your child play Ring Around the Rosy with her friend.
14. Accepting that a toddler sleeping in bed with you will either end up with their head resting on your stomach or their feet in your face.
15. Simply shaking your head when your child unravels a COMPLETE roll of tulle all over the upstairs, which the dog trips over and ends up dragging downstairs.
16. And the most recent–understanding that they will, at some point, bloody your nose. Last night, Zoey and I were playing–I was tickling her and kissing her cheek over and over again. Somehow, one of her fingers ended up in my nose (Bleh, I know. Everything happened so fast; I’m not sure how it happened) and as I pulled away, she ended up scratching the inside. Blood. Lots of it. Girlfriend gave me a bloody nose.
But you know what? I wasn’t even bothered about the finger up my nose because that kind of stuff happens when you’re a mom.