A New Day


I haven’t really written about my journey to find another job because, to be honest, there wasn’t a whole lot going on in that area. I applied for some jobs via careerbuilder.com, but only seemed to get responses from stupid insurance companies that wanted me to work, work, work for commission–the kiss of death for a family of three. All I wanted was a job that I could excel in, but leave behind at the end of the day. Something that would fulfill me and allow me to be a great mom and fiancee and person. It doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to find LOTS of jobs like that, right?

I visited Cortland Works Career Center a couple of times–a requirement of receiving unemployment–and met Bonnie, my counselor, who wasn’t at all judgmental of my unemployment. She encouraged me to keep trying for jobs (and to buy a Knifty Knitter, which is AWESOME), but she also just. simply. cared. And that meant a lot to me.

So I kept looking. But in the mean time, I was doing the part-time stay-at-home mom thing, as well as helping Greg get Langer Painting up and off the ground. There were a few times this summer that I even went to work with Greg and held the ladder, climbed up on roofs, power washed and yes, even painted. So it wasn’t like I was just sitting around at home eating cookies and watching Jerry Springer all day.

Almost two weeks ago (on a Friday), I saw an ad on Syracuse.com for a job in medical records at a chemical dependency treatment center. It sounded a lot like a job I had done in the past and I thought, well, heck, why not? I sent them my resume and a cover letter via e-mail and figured whatever happens happens.

The following Tuesday night, I just happened to be cleaning out the junk folder in my e-mail and I found a response from the treatment center–they wanted me to call to set up an interview. But here’s the kicker: they had sent the response e-mail about an hour and a half to two hours after I had sent my resume–ON THE SAME DAY. And it was now three days later.

I’ll be honest–I panicked. I was convinced they probably thought I wasn’t really interested in the job since I hadn’t gotten back to them right away. I called them first thing Wednesday morning and it turned out, when I explained what had happened, they were totally cool with it. In fact, the lady I spoke to had been planning on calling me anyway just on the off-chance that I hadn’t gotten the e-mail.

So we set up the interview for the following day, Thursday. Naturally, I stressed about it until I was actually sitting in the meeting. The interview was a lot of the typical interview questions, along with a detailed idea of what I could expect if I got the job, as well as a tour of the facility. The longer I was there, the more I realized I really wanted to get the position.

The two women that were interviewing me told me at the end of the interview that if they decided to go further in the interview process with me, they would let me know. I left the meeting feeling pretty good and hoping I’d get a call-back.

I received an e-mail about forty minutes after the meeting ended–they wanted me to go for a second interview that would include your typical Word/Excel/Outlook test. I e-mailed back and the second interview was set up for yesterday, Monday.

So I took the test yesterday morning and afterward, I was told that I would hear by the end of the week whether or not I got the job. The end of the week–here we were at the beginning of the week. I tried to tell myself that it was out of my hands–I had done the interview and the test and now it was up to them if I was the best qualified person or not. But to have to wait possibly four more days? I wasn’t looking forward to it.

It turns out, I only had to wait a few hours. I got a call yesterday afternoon and I was offered the job. I start Monday and I couldn’t be happier! My new official title is Clinical Documentation Improvement Analyst. Woot!

The best part about the job–it’s only ten minutes away from home.

So, starting Monday, Miss Zoey will resume going to my mom’s house every day and I will return to the working world. Greg will continue with Langer Painting and for the first time in a long time–we’re going to have two incomes coming in simultaneously, which means only good things for our family.

It’s the beginning of a new journey for our family, a good journey, that Greg and I are both looking forward to.


About cdhoose

I'm a mom to an amazing little girl and have another little one on the way. I live in Upstate New York with my fiance and daughter, 2 big, crazy dogs and a 3-legged cat (who has an attitude). I hate know-it-alls, Lindsay Lohan and socks with holes in them. I always seem to get myself into trouble (which entertains my fiance to no end), but I try hard to be a good parent. Also, I occasionally work on scrapbooking the fifty billion pictures I've taken of my kid. And I like ice cream. The end.

2 responses »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s